Long Beach High School
Special Education Department
• Faculty/Staff (516) 897-2036 fax (516) 771-3998
Ms. Serena Whitfield - Coordinator
Ms. Cathy Clarke, Secretary
Ms. Tara Roesch, TA
• PUPIL PERSONNEL STAFF
Dr. Matthew Morand
Mr. Bernard Valentin
Dr. Jacqueline Agresta
Mr. Conor Manning
Ms. Maria Yaker
• RELATED SERVICE PROVIDERS
Ms. Camila Gamboa
• The Special Education Department offers the full complement of services designed for the individual needs of students classified as having educational disabilities. Individualized Educational Programs (IEPs) are available to students who have been evaluated and classified by the district's Committee on Special Education (CSE). Program options include consultant teacher, resource room, integrated co-taught classes, a departmentalized special class program, life skills programs, as well as related services.
• The School Psychologists and Social Workers work closely with the department to serve each child's individual needs. We strive for the highest standards and support our students in achieving their goals.
• Transition into the adult world can present challenges for all young people. The process of transition is more difficult for many youth with disabilities and requires unique strategies to enable each student to achieve the maximum possible independence in working, living and participating in the community as adults.
• Transition services include a coordinated set of activities that are designed to prepare the student for outcomes that he/she envisions for his/her adult life. This may include post-secondary education, employment, vocational training, adult education, adult services, independent living and community participation
• The following links may be of interest to parents and students with identified disabilities: