Long Beach High School
Director of Media, Visual & Performing Arts: Julia Lang-Shapiro
Office Phone: (516) 897-6500
Ms. Albani, Orchestra
Mr. Bragino, Band
Dr. Michael Capobianco, Chorus
Mr. Frey, Theatre
Mr. Marks, Band
Mr. Rossi, Guitar/Digital Music
Music is a part of your everyday life. Whether you realize it or not, you are conditioned by its subtle influence. It can sway your emotions in many directions. TV commercials use music to influence you to buy products. Movies employ music as carefully as scriptwriters use dialogue. Whether online, on the radio, CD's, instruments, singing, or the musical theatre... music surrounds you.
The Long Beach High School music program is designed so that students experience a broad range of musical styles and includes performance opportunities featuring band, choir, orchestra and jazz programs. Many of our students are recognized at the local, state and national levels. In recognition of outstanding achievement, Long Beach Public Schools have been recognized as one of the Best 100 Communities for Music Education in the nation for the past 6 years.
The music department adheres to national and state curricular standards and is committed to introducing its students to technology and a broad range of musical experiences. To this end, the high school has a state-of-the-art music computer lab and offer technology-based music production and recording classes.
National & State Music Learning Standards:
- Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
- Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
- Improvising melodies, variations, and accompaniments.
- Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines.
- Reading and notating music.
- Listening to, analyzing, and describing music.
- Evaluating music and music performances.
- Understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts.
- Understanding music in relation to history and culture.
The music department's offerings are designed to meet the needs of different students. While specialized courses help prepare students for professional training, the vast majority of students will want to expose their senses to receive deeper benefits. Besides the performing groups of Band, Chorus and Orchestra, Long Beach High School offers specialized courses such as Digital Design Sound, Music Theory, IB Music, Studio in Theatre Arts and Guitar.